Posted by: MelanieYarbrough
when relevant content is
added and updated.
It’s been a pretty busy month around IT Knowledge Exchange, and we’ve learned a lot about desktop virtualization. We’ve compiled some of the highlights to serve as your go-to list for some of the top considerations from planning to deployment.
Blogging About Virtual Desktops
- Desktop virtualization is so much more than VDI, so get your questions answered before virtualizing.
- Guest blogger and author Michael Fox stopped by to share his desktop virtualization wish list for 2011. We asked you to share your own for a chance to win his book, DeMystifying the Virtual Desktop; does yours include VDI-in-a-box?
- Jason Tramer takes a break from ranting and reviews XenDesktop 5.
- Heather Clancy and the CDW end-user survey revisit the state of client virtualization.
One Stop Shop: Desktop Virtualization Experts
Twitter is bursting at the seams with virtual desktop experts and enthusiasts. Take advantage of your chance to interact and ask questions. If you’re still stumped, head over to IT answers, and be sure to tag your question desktop virtualization.
Not a fan of Twitter? Don’t worry, we’ve got an impressive list of virtual desktop blogs for you, too.
We’ve always got some good discussions happening in the forums. Here are some of the top discussions and questions from desktop virtualization month:
- Virtual Apps vs. Virtual Desktops: Member Juttej is exploring options for a 600 PC network project. Rechil and KFaganJr shared some of their own experiences with the two options while Pjb0222 gave some questions to consider during planning.
- Open IT Forum: Who is deploying desktop virtualization?: Mortimer1, Batye, Carlosdlg, and Rechil discuss what their companies are exploring as far as virtualized desktops go. It’s a great look into the inner workings and conversations that happen when an enterprise is considering desktop virtualization.
- Which is better: Microsoft App-V or Citrix XenApp?: Mortimer1 gives a good rundown of what situations are ideal for each product.
- Suggestions for desktop virtualization resources: From books to hardware, check out some of the community’s suggestions.
Brian Madden, Gabe Knuth, and SearchVirtualDesktop.com editor Bridget Botelho sit down and discuss their hopes and predictions for desktop virtualization in 2011.
VDI is no small undertaking, so be sure to avoid some of the common VDI deployment problems.