It drills down into the steps technology researchers take prior to making a purchase and highlights differences among the major geos in the region. Here are a few key findings from this year’s edition of the survey:
BANT (Budget, Authority, Need, Timeline) is an unreliable barometer for qualifying a sales opportunity. Why?
- Budgets and timelines shift over the course of the research journey. Purchasing authority is seldom centralized with a single individual.
- In most cases, a team of researchers evaluate vendors and solutions. Often, the technology specialists can veto buying from a provider they dislike.
- Accurate BANT data is tough to collect, regardless of how you try to gather it. Early- and mid-stage researchers are unlikely to be honest with
you about their companies’ purchasing plans.
Marketers need to maintain a strong media mix “right sizing” their investments in online campaigns and offline events to effectively influence buyer.
- Some of the more traditional markets like China, Japan and India are seeing
online research start to carry significant weight in the overall buying process.
- Online activity accelerates as a purchase nears. Most buyers download multiple
assets prior to making a purchase.
- SIs and consultants are influencers in the purchasing process, typically recommending
or specifying solutions and vendors.
Whitepapers are widely viewed as useful content in supporting technology purchases.
- Most whitepaper downloads occur when a project is planned or as the company is building its business case.
- Relevancy trumps brand familiarity when it comes to determining whether to read a whitepaper. Most have downloaded a paper from a vendor they did not know because the content related to a current project.
- Few buyers want to receive a call immediately following a single download. Instead, they prefer to be introduced to additional content before feeling comfortable with a direct engagement with the vendor.
I’d be happy to review the results in greater detail with you. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you’d like to set up time to speak.ot know because the content related to a current project.